According to Whitehill, Flinch was first produced in 1902 by the Flinch Card Company of Kalamazoo (Michigan, US), under a copyright owned by an A.J. Patterson, the likely developer of the game, As such Whitehill considers it a "Classic American Game".
Parker Brothers obtained a license in 1904 for production and distribution of the game in the United States, although it was still being produced in the US by the Flinch Card Company. In 1936, Parker Brothers bought the Flinch Card Company and the rights to the game
Purchased by the Museum in 1979, this popular game was manufactured sometime earlier by the Copp Clark Co. Ltd. in Canada under license from Parker Brothers. Over the years many editions of this game were manufactured.
The red box pictured above in the photograph is 11.3cm long x 14.1cm wide x 3cm high. The box includes 150 cards, an internal divider, and instructions.
Each card (8.8cm long x 5.6cm wide) has the name of the game printed on the back within a blue border (upper right in the photograph).
The cards are divided into 10 series. Each series is numbered from 1-15. Two numbers appear on each face separated by vertical lines.
Last update March 8, 2010